View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 06:15 PM

Re: SVX Engine cooling "Again & Again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
Bazza - your mate had no problems at 500+hp @ 6000 rpm for extended times. Now at 1000 hp he sees "cavitation".... are you sure it's the same phenomenon the guys with NA engines are experiencing at high revs?

The difference in heat rejection with a 500+hp engine and a 1000 hp engine is quite different :-)

Just a thought....

/T
Sorry - to clarify he never really saw issues with 500 hp until it was really held done for a long time with back to back runs on the dyno. Once he solved the issue with an electric pump he then turned the wick up... and to everyones suprise it put out 1000 bhp. Was with the cams Harvey said also wouldn't work for interest sake....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
I hope no one takes any offence - absolutely none is intended.

I replaced the water pump when I did the HG job. I kept the old one....

I tried drilling the impeller - there's no difficulty what so ever. It's very soft. Judging by the ultra short chips it's gray cast iron.

I took a 10mm straight cutter and made a hole at the tip of a vane.

See photo. The last half a millimeter can be dremmelled off.... didn't want to touch the pump body.

Drilling the tips of half of the vanes would be a nice try for someone with a test setup..... or if someone comes up with a better "drilling plan"

Tapani
Trevor always said it could be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertRunner
Steve from Jones racing wanted to drill the impeler but could not do it, the thing is cast and brakes up, so there is not point about talking about some thing that we can't do.
This is exactly why this thread has been going since 2009... crazy.