View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Question about a used Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxman View Post
I'm worried about it failing on me, it says right on ECUtune that the 4.44 has less, and weaker clutch packs, so it's just going to fail again right?

it's going to cost me the same amount to do a 4.44 swap, I'm worried about the solenoids being bad as well.

I really don't know what I should do. Most of my driving is on the highway, so the better city fuel economy doesn't really help me, and they say the revs are higher on the highway so I'm going to be burning more gas.

I was looking at a 4.44 transmission, it has 55,000 miles, and it's been sitting for a a few years or more. They want $700 for it and $300 for the differential.
4.44 transmissions all have the same amount of friction discs in the clutch packs as an SVX. This is proven fact. Also, the 4.11 from a Legacy LSi 2.5 also has the same amount as well. The 3.90 from a 91-94 legacy turbo also has the same amount of friction discs.

Regardless, with 4.44 gearing vs 3.54, the friction discs don't need nearly the same amount of torque holding capacity as the gear ratio allows for less strain.