View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Restoration Opinions Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrvr View Post
Hey all. I've finally got my project car running and I couldn't be more proud of it. Problem is, she's not much of a looker right now; some would use the word "rough". I've taken it to a couple body shops to see about having the body straightened out and re-colored and have been floored with the prices they've given me (highest was as much as $10k, depending on what broke during prep).

So my question is this: is it worth spending almost twice what the car is worth to have the work done right (will the car eventually be worth enough to merit the work)?

Quite simply put... NO.... The SVX will never have collector value other than "special" ones. Super low mileage, original, etc. And even the chance of them really going anywhere in value is highly unlikely. Perhaps in 30 years? Maybe.

You restore an SVX because you like, no, Love the car because of what it is and you want to enjoy it. You don't do it because you think it might appreciate in value. For a car to increase in value, there has to be a market of buyers. The SVX in fact, has many, many more sellers than buyers and 75% of the buyers today stumble across them and notice the cheap sticker price not fully realizing what they are getting themselves into...