View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 02:22 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Installling Engine: Flex Plate to Torque Converter

I wonder if my situation matches your "wobble"? I am a novice too so I'm just hoping to pass on what little I have picked up so far.

I did my first transmission install a few months ago myself and had a bear of a time before getting the TC to seat right. Ever since, my car has a noticeable rattle/shake coming from the transmission when I start moving from a full start. If I ease into motion gently, its just a minor rattle, but if I give it some gas it can build into a very noticeable shake that will last 2-4 seconds and feels to be coming from the front of the tranmission area. If I am turning (either way) it is a little worse. Once I am moving it completely goes away until the next time I stop. So stop signs are annoying right now. The rattle/shake does not really change by speed, more a factor of acceleration. A gentle start and I might not hear anything. A quick launch and it can sound and feel scary. It hasn't changed at all since the install so it isn't getting better or worse (I originally thought it might be binding because I first felt it while turning).

The rattle noise is most likely from the spot where the exhaust "Y" is bolted on to the 2 metal clips hanging under the transmission. Mine were badly bent so I left it loose and I just haven't had a good opportunity to see what it will take to fix. The more worrying part for me is if something is wrong with the front differential. I replaced both front axles (they had torn CV boots) and the rattle/shake didn't change. Could there be something wrong with just first gear because it completely goes away once the car has moved more than 10-20 feet.

Finally, double check the electrical connectors to the transmission and speed sensor. I didn't check for the "click" feeling on one and even though it looked good, it did all kinds of weird stuff on my first test drive. Everything but the rattle went away once fixed.

96 Polo Green - Daily Driver
92 Teal Green - Restoration in progress