View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 06:03 PM

Re: SVX Rally Car - For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Hi Harvey,
Bazza and I have had a few debates over the last 6 months because I say standard off the shelf the SVX would be the best handling of the Subaru's on track. Make this claim due to its longer wheel base. Any way I don't drive any other cars anyway.

Tony
You prolly need to drive quite a few other Soobies to be able to make such a claim haha. I had the pleasure of driving a modified 3RB all last week (extractors, reflashed ecu, coilovers etc) and in a straight line it's a car length or two quicker than an SVX with a 6MT (we're heading to drags soon to get proper times) and it does quite well turning.

Here's the very interesting thing about it, it has a longer wheelbase and than the SVX. Based on what you're theory, the Liberty should be far better handling than the SVX and better than everything else Subaru. A few things about the 3RB, it is rather light, has a 6MT stock and a beautiful engine which is such a delight to drive - it pulls to 7500 rpm and the torque is very consistent and flat. I'd certainly have one in my garage.

The question is does it out handle to SVX? A stock SVX with an auto and viscous rear diff - the SVX would lose easily. An SVX with a 6MT and plated rear diff - very very close and we're going to the track to see who's quicker (4 of my mates have 3RB's ... so we're racing for sheep stations of course).

The next question is therefore - do the long wheel base cars compare to the shorter WRX STI stuff - not a chance. It's chalk and cheese, in the corners the STI's gobble both the SVX and 3RB up for breakfast but we expect this of course. So what's the issue with a longer wheelbase - understeer. The longer wheelbase cars (10 times worse with AWD) just don't want to turn in and the first thing you need to do in any corner is be able to turn into it. It's kinda why a dragster is long - provide straight line stability and limit it's turning.

Wheelbase:
SVX - 2610 mm
Liberty 3RB - 2670 mm

Last edited by bazza; 06-05-2013 at 06:29 PM.