View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 09:26 PM

Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Couple of things this week.
Last weekend the car alarm started acting up, going off on its own - was a loose wire on the trunk latch switch.

Monday took the black graphite 17" 6-spoke summer wheels to the Powdercoat guy for a fresh coat of baked Liguid Silver...'cause black on black over black is just too 'Batman wannabe' for this old Davy.

On the way home the 4-way flasher button jammed at the halfway position, making the flashers impossible to turn off when the car is switched off but worse,disabling the turn signals.
Deductive reasoning and taking apart a spare switch pod showed me how to take the switch apart without breaking it.
Four penknife blades under the catch tabs and you can slide the circuitboard out. The only thing keeping all those contact feelers and springs in place is the factory grease - you've been warned. Also first remove the bulbs.
Problem turned out be to a teensy less than 1/16" square piece of switch cap tab broken off migrated up the side of the sliding element and back to the rear toggle spring channel where it fouled the toggle action.
Had to fix this switch in order to drive the car without hand signals. The spare switch pod is for a non-seat heater SVX so a swap was not an option.
Anyway, put it all back together and Eureka! Turn signals and flashers working as they should.

Biggest problem was getting to the pod harness connector to be able to work on it on the workbench. Every other SVX I've played with you pull the pod and the harness snakes out enough to disconnect.
My 97 has the connector factory riveted to the steel beam under the steering wheel. The harness snakes down a slim space next to the radio and back over to the connector plug.
Had to remove the dash cover and metal under panel to disconnect and pull the harness out. Now I know.

Picked up the freshly powder-coated wheels this morning ($40 each plus tire mounting & balancing for a grand total of $309 CN.
Had them installed by 3PM and went for a nice ride. Since I had to transport them in the Outback XT I had the summer wheels swapped on the OBXT as well.

Strange thing at the Powdercoater's place. While I was in paying a guy arrived in an all black 2006 OBXT that had also been lowered to LGT height like mine. We had a great chat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SVX switch pod harness routing.jpg (297.1 KB, 449 views)
File Type: jpg SVX switch pod opened.jpg (121.5 KB, 449 views)
File Type: jpg SVX Switch tab.jpg (111.7 KB, 441 views)
File Type: jpg SVX Summer wheels.jpg (262.5 KB, 451 views)
File Type: jpg SVX OBXTs.jpg (255.8 KB, 433 views)
1994 Emerald Pearl LSi w 2006 WRX 5 spd manual.
1997 Laguna Blue LSi, 46k miles (73345 Kms). One owner 25 years, always garaged, pampered and 9/10 showroom condition. Possibly the last Canadian spec Laguna ordered #100134