View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Another shuddering/ binding question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by showoval View Post
Ok, first the car has a 4.44 xmsn with Quick Change, 108k on the chassis and not sure about xmsn. The car has a hard shift from 1st to 2nd sometimes and a slow shift from 2nd to 3rd. The power light would blink on every forth start and now blinks at every start. Pulled only one code, 25 prior and have the same code now. Now the shuddering starts when crawling through traffic 0-10mph under very light acceleration and making light right turns. I can also feel the shudder under normal acceleration but not as prominent during the slow crawl. Also when it does begin to shudder I hear a pinging sound coming from the center of the car, as if someone is lightly tapping on the driveshaft?

I've read that putting some type of ATF synthetic lube might fix the problem and that my code 25 could be coming from the QC charging up or the wires not seated properly in the wire taps. But the shuddering has me worried along with the tapping sound. I'm going to put in the FWD fuse in and try the lube and see what happens. But in the mean time anyone have any thoughts on what else to chase down?
"Ok, first the car has a 4.44 xmsn ". What is the xmsn?

The code 25 is the Torque Control, that cuts the engine power, this can be caused by the connections on the blue/green wires. It can also be because the battery is low in charge, causing the QC to charge slowly. There is a mod to prevent this if it is the problem.

Having said that, the QC won't cause the other problems that you have.

Quote:
The car has a hard shift from 1st to 2nd sometimes and a slow shift from 2nd to 3rd.
This sounds like the throttle signal through the dropping resistor is changing, TPS?

Quote:
the shuddering starts when crawling through traffic 0-10mph under very light acceleration and making light right turns. I can also feel the shudder under normal acceleration but not as prominent during the slow crawl.
The shuddering in a turn can be the C Solenoid, the Transfer valve, or the Transfer clutch plates binding. But this won't cause it when crawling through traffic slowly, or under acceleration.

Quote:
the shuddering has me worried along with the tapping sound. I'm going to put in the FWD fuse in
I can't see anything in the box making a tapping sound, this would be more an external thing like the shielding. Fitting the fuse will turn the C solenoid off, but if it is caused by the Transfer valve or plates, it won"t change.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.