Thread: Ultimate SVX
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 12:06 PM

Smile Re: Ultimate SVX

Navigation did exist back in 1989 - when the concept model was around, I saw it working at the car show here in Auckland, NZ.

Remember that the GPS constallation has been around (no pun intended here) for over 40 years - it is only in the past 25 years that certain areas of the world were opened up for civilian uses.

Connexant/Qualcom were the first users (and miltary chip designers at the time).

Talon Technology (later called Navman) here in Auckland, NZ were the first non-commercial users of these chips for outsourced miltary use in the late 80s (I know because I helped design many GPS gadgets for them way back then.......these chips were very expensive) - I worked for Navman for over 10 years as contractor + full time job.

Later on Connexant "leased" another set of cheaper chips - on the proviso from the military that they could be "detuned" during conflicts. These are the ones that all consumers are now using everyday.

Of course I am unsure now if the same "detuning" applies for later GPS satallites that were launched recently like the ones from Japan/Europe & Russia + any other undocumented ones that other countries might have sent up over the past 15 years......

I still do contract designing of GPS units for various companies - being a PCB designer for over 30 years ....... you can see me on Linkedin.

Stephen Surtees (CID+)
Auckland
New Zealand

Last edited by SURTEESS; 02-13-2013 at 01:29 PM.