Thread: Ultimate SVX
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 07:06 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Ultimate SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobymal View Post
I'm curious why the Japanese never made a model that has all the best bits from every market/country, even if they kept it for themselves. For eg, why did they fit plastic headlamps and no heated seats to the Alcyone?

I'm happy with my UK spec car, but if it came from the factory with 4 wheel steer, electric folding mirrors, high level boot brake light, front fog lights, 3rd rear lap belt seat belt, cat warning lights, seat belt chime, rear side illuminated side marker lights, auto headlights, it would be the perfect SVX

Anybody think of anything else i've missed?

Mal
The 1992 Alcyone SVX Version L in Japan is the flagship. It was optioned with nearly all (if not all) of the high tech goodies you mentioned and more... a few reasons for some options (differences) in other countries....

Heated seats are not much of a need in Japan.

For Europe and GB:

The glass headlamps, rear fogs, 3rd brake, etc. light are a different story and made just to meet European regulations...

The plastic headlamps were the highest standard for the SVX at the time. Glass headlamps were a requirement for Euro regulations and not a feature. All headlamps had to be made of glass (this is no longer the case).

This applies to the front fog lamp delete as well because it was also a requirement that fog lamps had to be mounted under the bumpers at the time.

The wiring for the 3rd brake light was used to power the rear fogs because the rear fogs were a requirement and a 3rd brake light was not.

Also the headlamp aiming and washer systems were a requirement to meet regulations on newer style (for the time) projection headlamps.

The Euro models were a strange combination of compromises and additions both good and bad. Mostly good!

While the US models got alot of the neat stuff, we never got the most important thing... a VTD transmission.

Last edited by dbarnblatt; 02-08-2013 at 07:19 PM.