View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 05:30 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Anybody owns a VW Eurovan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb3 View Post
In all fairness, I just parked my daughter's 2002 4 cyl. Jetta 5 speed after 190k miles and 4 years, 90K of good hard service under her watch. Still runs great so will probably donate it. It served her, and me, well. My only complaint is the interior and plastics parts self destructed.
Gene
Pretty much the norm. They're built about as cheap as possible in Mexico.

the 4 cyl engines from VW/Audi are generally good. The exception is when people follow the maintenance schedule for oil changes which is too long on the 1.8t(transverse or longitudinal). The Audi 2.8, 30v V6 is also a great engine and other than having it's oil leaks be fairly typical, is bulletproof. The Audi V8's are generally great as well, though do have transmission/torque converter issues thanks to the higher torque and power.
The 2.7 twin turbo, W8, VR6 have a fair share of issues typical around 100k and sometimes sooner and I would never recommend anyone buy them without a decent amount of mechanical ability. Even then, they're not really worth dealing with the headaches and why I chose to stop thinking about upgrading to an Allroad 2.7t from the A4 that I have now. (The V8 allroad was never offered with the 6 spd manual, though I do have all the parts needed to swap one if I chose, but just not worth the investment/bother)

They can be great cars if you know what to look out for and if they haven't been driven to the ground. Also, parts are cheaper for my A4 than parts we buy for the Subarus on the lot. (brakes, timing belt parts, sensors, etc) So don't let the myth of expensive parts fool you.

Last edited by 1986nate; 01-16-2013 at 05:33 PM.