View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 07:45 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Anybody owns a VW Eurovan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia176 View Post
Yeah, I've heard about the drivetrain and the timing chain. It's interesting that the timing chain is on the back side of the engine; I need to investigate that further as I can't see how that works. Being that it's a transfersal engine, I'd have thought the chain to be facing the passenger side of the engine compartment. How bizarre!

Thanks for the heads up.
It's a complete pain in the ass. It's just sandwiched in there the same way it would be on the front of the engine. There is a cog on the crankshaft which drives it that goes to an intermediate shaft/cog and then up to the cams. Then just has metal timing covers that go over it. I have a few pics of one with complete failure somewhere.

Personally, I'd stay away. They fail thanks to the plastic tensioner pads and need to be done about every 100k miles regardless of how well they have been maintained. This one had around 110k miles iirc with excellent maintenance history and one owner. It's about 11 hours of labor if you catch it before it does any damage. Also, while in there, there are a few other parts you want to replace which makes it all quite costly for something that needs to be done at that interval.

Last edited by 1986nate; 01-16-2013 at 07:56 AM.