View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Adam Lanza - CT Massacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Your point actually brought up something I didn't think of and did make me do some thinking.
Here's the difference. McVeigh was an act of terror and had no intention of killing himself. This is usually how terror attacks are. The difference would be ones carried out by those that believe they will prosper in the afterlife for doing what they did. These are planned out very long term. Very methodical. There isn't a point where they "snap". They plan, and plan, and eventually pick a good time.
Now, take this into account about the Batman shooter. Had he wanted to die, he would have likely stayed in a standoff with police until he was shot, or stayed around to be shot. In his case his was more planned out. He didn't just "snap". He obviously thought out that he wanted to do this on the opening night. Found the theater that had signs up saying guns weren't allowed, etc. Perhaps if every location allowed weapons, he might go to further levels. It's impossible to know.
Most of these mass shootings (especially at schools) are done by people who seemingly want to die, but don't want to just "off" themselves at home in their basement. If there is even a single deterrent, they are likely too much of a coward to go through with it.

Of course none of these apply for every case. Every case is indeed unique. The real issue at hand is the fact that there are very, very few mental hospitals anymore. Insurance companies won't cover the care, and doctors make more off writing prescriptions than actually figuring out the root of the problem. If anyone wants mental help for their son, daughter, or other family member, they are encouraged to wait until they do something violent so it goes on their police record, and eventually possibly go into the jail/prison system for acting out. All the while, the leading cause of the actions are never learned, never figured out, never solved, never helped. This is the true root of the problem at this point. The secondary issue typcally coming down to how the person acting out may have been raised.
If any of my children would have been 'like that', (insert opinions here), there would be NO way for him to access my weapons! I would be taking notes with crayons, because there would be no pencils or pens that were not locked up! The knives would be brought out to cut meat, then put away.
She KNEW he was a 'problem'. She let her guard down.

I was raised in a house with 'foster' kids. I had a collection of models that I loved. I found my 55 Chevy convertable in the attic. It had been heated with a match and pressed into another one. (That boy was later charged with 'arson')

There are 'signs'. People need to pay attention.

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry