View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 05:32 PM

Re: Were Should I Spend my EG33 Dollars to Kick Ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Once setup properly, which does take a little experimenting for each new application, they run fine. Just takes a little figuring out. Right now, I can't do much work on the hardware of the car, since basically all my spare cash is tied up buying a house, so I have the time to iron the bugs out before I'll be ready to get back to the real work.

Basically, it's only such a pain in the ass the first time around, then it will be easy for the next guy to get his setup. I am just unlucky not to be that second guy. Mike too.

And then once figured out, we can be saving, what? almost a grand compared to a hydra? That's a solid amount of money that could go to parts or whatever.
I've actually tuned a mate's MS and it was the nastiest thing I've ever tuned lol, so I'd say the fun doesn't quite end after setting it up. Looking at their website they're anywhere from $550-650 then a lot of time an effort to get it working. Plus then who wants to risk a very expensive engine whilst setting up an ecu - I certainly wouldn't.

At that price there are other options - you can buy a 2nd hand Microtech on ebay for a 6 cylinder for $400 odd bucks. You can then send it to Microtech and have them set it up for the EG33 which costs about $150 and then a handset to tune it for $200. So you could be setup for $750 odd and the ecu is FAR superior to the MS. The microtech ecu actually holds the world record for the quickest EG33 / Subaru / WRX on the planet still to this day. Or you trawl the forums until you find a 2nd hand Linkplus G3 or Vipec come up for sale etc.

There are a lot of other better options, we just gotta be smart about it.