Thread: Strut Options
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 09:27 AM
- Bad Wolf -

Registered SVX
Re: Strut Options

So I was looking at the Koni inserts listed on classicgarage.com and other sites.

It seems like this solves at least one issue and is nearly the same as the path I was following. Nearly all package struts are actually a cartridge swaged into a carrier. Such is the case with our struts. So what I am working on is a simple (read:inexpensive) method to cut, gut, and thread our struts to accept common cartridges.

I have contacted several manufacturers about the damping rates of candidate cartridges. The goal is to get a close or slightly firmer damping rate that comes from a common car.

For example; take a early 90's Chevy Lumina. Similar weight and front wheel drive. The Euro and Z34 sport suspensions were higher damping rate. That cartridge is inexpensive, available nearly anywhere on the planet, and comes with its own mounting nut.

So the goal is to use a common part with an adapted strut to come up with a less expensive alternative for the average daily driver that is also available at the FLAPS (friendly local auto parts store).

The custom bits are great especially for sporting folks but it just seems like a set of adapted struts that accept common GM/Nissan/Toyota cartridges opens up an inexpensive, reliable, long term solution. Of course it also opens the possibility of other cartridges for track or performance use but does not offer an adjustable spring perch.

The choice of cartridges will also open some options for the upper strut mount. An existing mount can be used as an adapter plate to eliminate the need to drill holes or modify the tower. For those who want less noise transmitted to the interior you would be able to keep rubber strut mounts.

So that is the status of my effort. I'll share more once I have data back from the manufacturers.

-Mike O