View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 04:45 AM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
So Long, and Thanks for All the SVX's

Well folks, it's been fun, but I've had to move on.
After nine years and all the usual little problems that we all live with, I've decided to go back to driving manual station wagons.
I started with a Kombi, then a Type 3 wagon, then a Gallant wagon and finally two L series before discovering the SVX (it was probably a mid life crisis thing ).
I now need to go back to being able to carry my models and hang glider around, plus I need to be able to tow my ultralight trailer around without worrying about blowing up the box (again)
But I've been spoilt having something that actually handles and has the smoothness of a six, so I've picked up a B-Spec 3.0R Liberty, with the six speed STI box
I should also point out, that I think my SVX was on it's last legs, and I was made a reasonable offer by Desert Runner (sorry E) so my red '92 has moved on.
I will miss the SVX and some of it's rather unique features.
The most obvious one is the windows.
While outsiders think the windows are strange and would get in the way, we don't see them, what we also don't notice is the fact you can drive at 100kph with the windows open and still carry on a normal conversation, all without a blast of wind in your face.
Going back to a normal(?) car, I have to remember to open a rear window to rearrange the airflow, then remember to close it before walking away.
It is nice to go back to frameless windows again though...
Having grown to expect a certain level of engineering and build quality (from Subaru), I am a little surprised at the amount of plastic on the Liberty, or more importantly the temporary nature of the assembly
I'm also going to miss the flip up steering wheel, which I used to it's full extent by driving with the wheel fairly low in my lap and the seat laid back, (felt like sitting in the gliders I used to fly).
Having the wheel low in the Liberty is OK, but takes a bit of contorting to get in and out of.
If I have it higher, it feels like being back driving the Kombi
Having said that, the Liberty is definitely higher, but fortunately having the B-Spec suspension, it doesn't roll much.
I guess the oddest thing about driving the Liberty is that as you drive around and look about, you realise that no-one is looking at you (including the cops)
Anyway, as I've said, it's been a great experience, and I'll leave you with my new toy....
Arthur.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lib.jpg (25.5 KB, 302 views)
'04 Liberty B Spec 3.0R wagon-Silver
'02 Outback 2.5 wagon-White For Sale

I Don't Drive Fast, I Just Fly Low!!
I've moved to Taree , check out my progress at Picasaweb.

That's a 'V' in SVX dammit!