Thread: 4EAT failure?
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 07:37 PM

Re: 4EAT failure?

Been a long time since I visited this thread but there's a lot to follow up on here:

a.) Since the Alcyone Dragon meet in mid-June, I picked up Dave's rear diff - THANKS DAVE!!!

b.) My mechanic brother-in-law and his experienced son came down last weekend and basically said, "Hey, lets knock this thing out man!", and boom! Like that, it all took a very quick turn toward getting the car on the road. I had planned on involving 92SVX but this was literally like a less than 24 hour notice thing for me even. These guys are really fast and he brought air tools with him!

c. I was definitely taking a chance ASSuming the fozzy tranny was "well taken care of". Turns out the tranny fluid was a little burnt. Not sure what to expect there, but it has a 1 year warranty, so who knows.

d.) Turned out the Fozzy pan had a 1/2 cm hole in it, but since the SVX pan is the same as the Fozzy pan I plan to just swap them out.

e.) Unfortunately my brother-in-law wasn't down just to fix my car, he was visiting with his family as a vacation thing (this is why I didn't expect this to even happen), so he didn't quite have enough time to complete the job. The good news is it's 2/3 done and all that's left is to get the new tranny put in. He's coming back in 2 weeks to finish up - so hopefully I'll have a running car then.

AAAAAaaaaaanyway...

...that's the latest on this saga.

92SVX and others, I really appreciate all the offers of help, and I'm sorry I couldn't take you up on it as it was VERY sudden. On the plus side, last weekend when we went to pull the tranny out of the junkyard, it was inSANEly hot - about 100°F and a billion % humidity. I passed out from heat exhaustion when we were on our way back to the front of the yard w/ the tranny in a wheel barrow! (Be careful in the heat folks - it snuck up on me VERY quickly!)

This brings me to my actual question:

I'm about to order a tranny filter gasket kit ('98 Fozzy gasket has same part # as '96 SVX). I saw this thread, which seems to end up stating that all SVX tranny pans use a gasket only, but I just wanted to bounce the thread off you knowledgeable folks to be sure.

'96 LSi, Laguna Blue (retired - soon going to a new home)
'89 XT6 5 speed (Gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by Austin; 07-15-2012 at 11:11 PM.