View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Engine Bearing Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
The one concern in the back of my mind is what is the maxium oil flow that can be pumped through the motor.
My logic for asking you about the different pressure at different revs would tell us the amount of oil that can be pump throught the existing system.

In simple terms if you find the point at which the oil presuure fails to increase inspite of increase reves then using that rev number we can calculate the amount of oil the system can handle.

Also don't know if we have all agreed but it seems that high clearance on the bearings is far better. Is that accepted or not?

Tony
I think that is the crux of the matter Mate. It is the flow that gets to the big end slipper that is the main point.
If the flow is reduced as it flows through the gallery and the holes through the crank, then the pressure won't help. There has to be enough flow to cool and lube the big end.
Increasing the bearing clearance will be detrimental if the flow can't keep up the supply, the oil will fling out of the shell faster that it can be supplied.

Look at the way the oil has to flow from the gallery, to the main bearing cap groove, into the main journal, through the crank to the big end shell, it's not just a pipe!

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.