View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 07:05 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Strange noise ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Does it seem to become more pronounced with increased load? If so then look at driveshaft and axles.

If it speeds up proportionally to RPMs, then look at the engine stuff (mounts, misfires, etc.) If it speeds up proportionally to ground speed, then look at bearings, drivetrain, axles, wheel balance issues (hubs, rims, tires), or maybe diffs.

Do you feel it or do you hear it? You usually hear bearings and tires.
you often feel axles. Driveshaft I'm not entirely sure, but I'd guess you'd feel it at least a little.

Usually front axle symptoms are easier to narrow down, because they give more feedback, especially through the steering wheel.

I'd lean toward one of the rear axles being bad, or a bad driveshaft U-joint or center bearing.
my car has a similar noise as well , im fairly certain it is the drive shaft unis and possibly the centre bearing as well ,
but i can feel and hear a very loud and pretty violent vibration when turning right or left from a stop .
i originally though it was the left rear axle but when driving slowly there is also an audible ting ting ting noise , which is the unis grabbing and releasing on where they are worn (my old rwd corolla used to do the same thing i replaced the unis and it was fixed ), it also makes a loud ting when reverse is selected

my suggestion is get a drive shaft from a car with cheap and serviceable/replaceable unis (in aust holden commodore ones are cheap and plentiful ) and have those uni bits welded onto the svx shaft at a drive shaft shop
thats what i plan to do with my drive shaft im getting for 5 speed