View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: weak reverse, possible slip in 1-2 and 3-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Claret View Post
I have a mid '91 SVX with 172k that I believe is all original. When I got the car the previous owner FLUSHED the transmission instead of doing a fluid EXCHANGE. Shortly after I got it reverse seemed to be getting weak and a few winters ago I got stuck in some pretty deep snow and tried to get out pretty hardcore. Well now reverse only works when the car is cold and the fluid is more viscous.

My question:

Has anyone experienced this and did something that helped, in-a-sense, 'correct' the problem without transmission removal?

Would a heavier weighted fluid cause other issues to the internals of the 4EAT or would it be an okay idea to try? I would also add an additive that some of you know as 'the red bottle' from NAPA. The only issues I can see with a heavier weight is it being unable to properly lubricate in areas of tight tolerances.

Any experienced help or know-how would be much appreciated and THANKS in advance!
It would be worth pulling the pan to see if the 'flush' got the filter screen blocked, as it sounds like a lack of line pressure.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.