View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 02:01 PM

Re: Italdesign Giugiaro Brivido Hybrid Gullwing Sports Car Debuts At Geneva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
I wasn't aware of VW's ownership of Italdesign.

So you think if this was ever realized it would be a Lambo or Porsche?
Yeah, they bought out Giorgetto Giugiaro and his family a year or two ago. I think they still have a small stake, but VW now owns most of ItalDesign.

If it were realized, I am not sure. Not Porsche, though, their design is fairly set for them, and if they were to do a coupe, it would probably just be a shortened panamera, but 991 is really slotting into that Grand Tourer role that 928 originally was in, as 991 has gone with a less spartan interior, longer wheelbase, and wider front track.

Audi, possibly, but it would probably have to replace the A5, as it certainly isn't the same as the more compact Quattro Sport concept from last year, and Audi does go with chunkier more monolithic designs. Plus it might interfere with the already well received A7.

Lamborghini... doubtful, unless they revive their GT line, but they seem not to want to step on Porsches and Audi's toes with that, and they are going all in with their geometric/cubist styling language.

I can see it getting 'normalized' with traditionally hinged doors, and possibly replacing the Passat CC, and perhaps bridging the pricing gap between the current Passat, and the rumored successor to the Phaeton, sort of like a transverse-engined, haldex-AWD, less expensive VW cousin to the aforementioned Audi A7.

It would be interesting to see if the 3-side door, asymmetrical layout of the Hyundai Veloster, and the Pininfarina Cambiano concept car, and the previous Mazda Kabura concept car, actually gets adopted more widely, with coupe-like driver focus on one-side, and sedan-like passenger accommodation on the other.

Either that, or Brivido may just stay in the no-man's land of un-realized concept cars.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.