View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 03:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Too much timing belt travel...

Ok so here is my issue...

Problem: Odd rotational/rubbing noise coming from front of engine.

What was done: I replaced the cam seals/plugs, water pump/thermostat, Timing belt and rebuilt the P/S pump.

I buttoned everything up hoping the sound would go away, drove about 15 miles on the highway, performance wise the car performed flawlessly actually had a bit more pep in it's step. HOwever when I came to a stop the rotational/groaning could stil be heard.

So I did a little investigating as the problem persisted. I removed the driver's side front timing belt cover and came to find that the belt walked quite a bit along the idler pulleys.

A picture or a video rather is worth a thousand words I uploaded two videos on youtube...search 92 Subaru SVX Odd Noise and 92 Subaru SVX Odd Noise II. If you find the first video you'll come across the second on the right hand side of the screen.

I am almost certain that the t-belt traveling back and forth so much is causing the noise. But what allows/causes this? I took my sweet time making sure everything was tight. I went back over each pulley and made sure they were torqued to 32 lbs as per the manual.

My one thought is that there isn't enough tension. The manual suggests moving the hydraulic tensioner all the way to the right and tigthen (although not fully) so it stays in place while you align the cam's and t-belt.

I didn't do this rather I moved the tensioner all the way to the left and bolted it up, all the while the tensioner had been compressed and secured with a pin.

After I had everything aligned I installed idler pulley 2 (right below and to the left of the oil pump) and the pulley to the left of the water pump. I came across this method from another member on the forum, I wasn't having much luck with all pulleys installed.

Now, everything was aligned properly and I removed the pin. The piston from the tensioner didn't come out all that much...I just assumed it would slowly move back into position.

Before I tear back into it I wanted to get your alls thoughts, maybe theres something else I am missing....

Thanks in advance, Chris

Last edited by SVXMAN2001; 01-28-2012 at 03:28 PM.