View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 10:17 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Buying an SVX, but weird "thunking" sound... (Diff?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridered777 View Post
Just fixed this problem not a month ago on mine.... though mine was from the front end.

Its you CV joint/halfshaft. Narrow down the side, put the car up in the air, pull the tire, and I am willing to bet alot of marbles if you look at the CV boot it will be torn or open somewhere, causing all of the grease to leak out (it's supposed to be packed with it). This causes a lack of proper lubrication and thunking. Mine did it up front only when I turned it to one side, and thats how I narrowed down the side it was coming from. In your case, I'd put the whole rear axel up and check em both

Craig
Bringing this back from the dead. I believe my RR half shaft is going bad and making the same sounds as the op, went underneath the car and started to grab and shake things around and noticed the noise when I moved the half shaft.

So my rear bearings are going out and I need to replace them so I might as well do the axles also. My question is, I have a 4.44 xmsn from an Outback, do I need axles from an Outback or an SVX?