Thread: Axel Question
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 08:16 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Axel Question

most people charge an hour for subaru axles and may give you a break on doing both at once. if you figure your local labor rate (varies a lot by area) and multiply by 2.0 or 1.5 you will get a general idea. if you know someone at a shop they will probably put both in for 50 realizing that it's actually really easy. if they quote you more than 2 hours than they are quoting you from a labor guide instead of experience. if you call around to shops to figure out their labor rate make sure you ask what an hour of labor comes to with shop fees and taxes. there is no tax on labor but in some areas after the shop fees are added (for towels, cleaners, etc...) then the entire amount gets taxed.

it's really not that difficult to do on your own. it just seems overwhelming the first time. i did axles on my brothers subaru long before i knew much about fixing cars and it took us all afternoon but we got it done. if you get stuck at some point you can always jump on the forum and ask questions.

labor rate at my old shop in denver is $110/hr. 8 miles away at my new shop it's $80/hr. so call around if you are not going to do it yourself.

Last edited by 92snowmachine; 12-28-2011 at 08:19 AM. Reason: labor added