Thread: Axel Question
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 01:36 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX
Axel Question

My CV joints and axels are bad. They've been bad for as long as I can remember, I've just been too lazy to attend to it. My steering wheels vibrates after about 60mph, and with new tires and a good alignment, I think the only thing left to cause that would be either a bent rim or bad CV joints. It's not the rim, because it never vibrated like this before. Yes, I have done the figure-8 parking lot test for the CV joints. They failed. Anyway, how big of a job would I be getting myself into if I were to change them out myself? I'm not a grease monkey, but I love working on my car here and there, and I'm smart enough to figure things out. Tool-wise, I have all the power tools I would need, but only wheel ramps and jacks. I have no way of lifting the car more than a foot off the ground. Is it feasible for me to give this a shot, or would taking it to the mechanic be inexpensive enough for it to make sense? My budget is tight (college budget). Also, can someone recommend me a place to buy them for the best price and best quality? I don't need anything extra, just OEM CV joints and axels. Even advance auto has them (or claims to). Any input is appreciated.

P.S., could bad front wheels bearings cause my front end to vibrate? I don't think those have ever been replaced. If it could, it looks like I might have to replace both of those things...
STi Airlift Performance air suspension
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

First bagged SVX in the world
Worlds first SVX on air suspension.
Custom made (by myself) spare tire subwoofer.