View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 02:53 PM

Re: suggestions for cars that are under $10,000?

I don't recall where I read the big writeup on the tire industry. Maybe its changed, but at least then, yes, they did do custom molds for car makers. Ford needs 1/2 a million tires for one of thier lesser selling models. Fseries might used several different sizes and brands, but I'd bet everyone of them is over a 1/4 million tires needed by Ford for just thier fullsize trucks. Clearly some tire makers do very specific tuning of the tire design which is why you see "porsche" or "BMW" fitments separate from the normal tire in that size and model.

We have also seen in past reports of things like the aftermarket RE92 was markedly better than the OEM RE92 subaru inflicted on thier cars. Still not worth buying but better.

Much of the "better" in aftermarket vs OEM if not all of it is in the more expensive rubber compounds and proper manufacturing. There is a reason that $25 pepboys/chinese tires are worthless even if you manage to find one with the same exact tread design as a high end tire. The shallower tread is just there to make it cheaper, and to wear out faster so the owner has to buy new tires sooner. I think its a mistake since people who think it through will buy a more expenisve tire that lasts longer... and if the OEM is gone quickly.. why would anyone think to buy it again.