View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 01:09 AM

Re: Functional Aero Kit

XT6Wagon: No worries, I never take tech questions or suggestions personal. Hell, if there is anything to be learned or added to what Im going for, then by all means, voice your opinion and lay that knowledge on me!
There is ALLOT of aero improvements that I would love to do to this car, however I only have such a budget to create what I can. I would love to have the freedom to make an all out perfect kit for this car. At this stage, and with out a proper wind tunnel, an integrated front diffuser is not in the cards. A rear diffuser will be created however to kick the air up from the back of the car. Wheel arches will not be vented in the front, however rear arch venting may be possible. There will be ducting for brake cooling and NACA ducting for engine bay cooling.

By the by, that was a great article about the viper I love stuff like that! If your ever out and about, pick up a few issues of Race Car Engineering. If you like the viper article, you'll love this mag.

Johnybeas: Im liking that front bumper I also thought about creating a wider stance with a wide body kit. But to do it right, it would involve moving the suspension outward to match the additional width. the VAST majority of people make their cars wider by using more offset on the rims and wider tires. What they dont realize is that they are creating a cornering nightmare. There is something called Scrub Radius when you turn your tires. The further out the edge of the front tires are from the pivot on the steering knuckle, the more it has to rotate to complete the turn. Meaning that your tires have to speed up and rotate quicker than your car is moving in order to complete the movement of the turn. You want that pivot as close to the middle of the wheel as you can to minimize this affect so your not sacrificing traction and speed to corner. Best way to figure this: Draw a straight line from the top center of the strut, past the mounting bolts on the knuckle and continue this to the ground. That line, at the ground should be in the middle of your wheel.

Wow.. That made perfect sense in my head but in text its a hard read..