View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 01:06 PM

Re: Functional Aero Kit

Moving a airfoil/wing back on the chassis will be affective if the rest of the bodies aero is set up for it. The reason for moving the wing full off the back of the body as seen in a few different classes of racing is to directly affect the flow of air from the undercarriage. Yes, it does indeed move the center of gravity created by the downforce to the back of the car, but you cant go slapping wings on all willy nilly on your car. You need a balanced push downward front and rear.
The "what looks to be a Lotus chassis" and the Chaparral have nothing to do what so ever with our cars. Those are mid-engined monsters that have a fair amount of front downforce built into the body already. The rear wing is there to balance it out at high speeds.

Every wing is developed for that particular car, for those particular regulations. An F1 wing would create more drag than a coefficient of down force if slapped on your SVX's. The factory wing on our cars is simply there for the looks. Its not in clean flowing air at all. Its airfoil shape is wrong as well. For it to work, it needs to be 8" above the deck lid where we get the clean moving air off the roof as it slopes downward.
There is no benefit of having it hanging off the ass end of the car as there is way too much body between the wing and the bottom skirt to get any additional beneficial downforce due to the vacuum created by the cars natural aerodynamics above the deck and rear.

The wing we will be creating will be engineered with a good coefficient of drag to downforce ratio that will balance out the SVX at higher speeds to match the addition of the front splitter with out sacrificing top speed.

The front splitter does indeed extend under the front engine x-member and is designed to smooth out the air under the car.

As for over heating:

My rally car had full undercarriage skids and never suffered from over heating.

Subaru did not get it wrong by any means! They designed a stellar car by most standards. It has wonderful aerodynamic properties which is why I want to create a race car with it. But it was not designed to corner like I want it to at 100+ mph. Due to its slippery shape, it created more lift than downforce in the wrong places. Most people wont notice it, but when I drive, I can feel it. I can feel the steering getting lighter. The chassis becoming unbalanced. At low speeds, I can tell that the rear would benefit from downforce as the suspension unloads under braking.

That and im going to redesign the suspension a bit. WAY too much anti-squat built into the lower a-arms. Great for comfort, not for chassis stability.

Like I said, this is being built as a race car, pure and simple. But, im creating parts that are going to look and perform well and id hate to simply keep to myself. On the plus side, it may drop the cost on my end if somebody wants to buy a kit along with me

Last edited by smc; 10-23-2011 at 01:09 PM.