View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Interior swap blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
Dear Benebob, my grandmother worked for the CT DMV for 35 years, and my mother just retired from the DMV two weeks ago after putting in 39 years.
The VIN on the firewall is legit enough to get it titled/registered in CT.

"Customers who need a VIN verification can visit a VIN Verification Emissions Station with their vehicle. These stations charge a $10 fee for VIN verifications."

"VIN Verification Criteria

Should your vehicle be found to have:

Missing primary VIN
Altered or tampered VIN
Improper plate attachment
Secondary location unavailable
VIN unreadable"

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=804&q=460746

You take your car with no vin plate to ANY emissions station (private garages), They check your firewall vin, you give them $10, they pass you.

Thanks for your time.
So do they both chain smoke and scream next every 3 minutes? Your giving state laws where the state has very little jurisdiction. You take that same car you speak of to any auto auction (even in Conn) and then it will get rejected for a lack of a visable vin.

The point is by federal law a vehicle must have a visable vin. His car does not. It can not legally be registered, sold, or parted out in its current state. There are many quasi legal and not so legal ways to get it registered but under federal law a car must have a visable vin. Now is the time to recover his losses or explore the legal options for registering the car, there is no real good solution that doesn't have long term consequences.