View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Re: I've started a blog to explain my problems with Sony's customer service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
i have had countless Sony products in the last 25 years, and only had three fail - a CD player from 1990, a didgital camera from about 8 years ago (after years of use), and recently my PS3 (bought a month after launch).

i can't complain about a 6-year old PS3 ... and its possible to fix it, when i get the time.

after reading your blog, i don't understand how an HD LCD tv has a "much lower picture quality compared to a projection tv".

i had a rear projection big screen, and a newer LCD or LED tv will blow it away. picture washes out in a bright room, and bulbs need replaced. there is a reason you don't see them selling much anymore. 4 years ago you should have bought an LCD tv, but unfortunately, you bought the "HD-DVD of tv's". do yourself a favor and buy a decent LED tv and leave that old tech behind. you probably went for the giant screen for the price, but it was a bad choice at a transitional time for television technology/pricing.
The reason Sony doesn't sell their rear projection tv's anymore is because of the problems with the optical block (they don't even sell their commercial projectors to movie theaters anymore for the same reason).

While an LCD/LED tv is better than a "color wheel" type rear projection tv, the picture quality and refresh rates are MUCH higher on an LCoS (SXRD) style projection tv.

Another advantage to the technology is the advertised "high life expectancy". Sony stated that the SXRD/Grand Wega had a minimum life expectancy of 20,000 hours and a realistic life span of 60,000+ hours. Mine lasted roughly 6000 hours...

The tv's supposedly could last a life time with only bulb replacements every 6-7 years (replacement bulbs are easily found for $100). That's a much better deal than having to buy an entire new tv over the same period.

The problem with the situation isn't "omg, a 4 year old tv is ruined now!". It's that Sony has had optical block problems with all of their projection tvs since 2002-2003 and they continued to sell them, knowing there was a major flaw.

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company