View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 04:44 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Car Stalling/Shutting Off

Sorry for the typos, I was short handed on my cell phone…

Repeat:

Around a week ago the car started turning off at lower speeds, randomly, then this problem persisted and it began to turn off constantly. Now it turns off at high speeds as well. I was doing 60mph on the FDR in NYC, and the car just shut down! I had to wait till I got to a full stop and then restart it. The car restarts right away. But after one episode occurs, it keeps shutting off over and over. Sometimes I can drive it for a half a day and its fine, but then all of a sudden it begins to stall and shut down. Once that happens it repeats throughout the day.

I had a mechanic check it with an old computer for the ‘92, and he said that it was a CRANK SENSOR that was causing this problem. The interesting this is that; when I keep giving it gas, it continues to drive, so I assumed that maybe there could be a fuel pump issue. I don't know.

I would be extremely grateful on some feedback, and see what you guys have to say, since you specialize in this. If it is a crank sensor, is the crank sensor expensive new? And is it worth buying it here used? And if it isn't, then what can be causing this?

Thanks Max