View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 04:42 PM

Re: alternator wires

I am doing the alternator wiring upgrade as soon as my ordered alternator arrives.

SVXCESS wrote it up, and it is around here, readily available for a search.

But the basics are, if I am not incorrect (and please correct me now, if so), that those two white wires get cut back to a point where they aren't baked to brittleness, and capped together, and insulated.

Then new 4 or 2 gauge wiring installed from the alternator, to the battery's positive terminal, with a MegaFuse inline, near the battery.

I am probably going to replace the battery ground lead and engine ground strap, with the same gauge of wire, as well as possibly digging into the fusebox, and replacing the leads from there to the battery terminals, as well.

Then the only thing left for wiring on the SVX is to track down an intermittent short with the windshield wipers when it is raining.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.