View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 09:34 AM

Re: Oil Filter delisted

Being part skeptic I started out with just the oil in the SVX.
I'd been using mobil 1.. and usually Frams top line filter... Like clock work at 3k or 3500. Sure enough it would be BLACK as night. When I switched over to Amsoil I did the same thing checked it at 3k, looked like the day I put it in. rechecked at nearly 9k and it was honey brown... Damn.. Proof.. The preferred customer discount is 20 bucks a year and they send you monthly stuff and the 20 to 25% off, it may be a bit more like 33%.. Not certain on the 33% unless I go look. They drop ship anywhere.. Just go to their website Amsoil.com.

My next test was to do a 2004 Buick V6, just oil and air filter.. um the mileage improvement doubled per tank. with Mixed driving. I was pretty impressed there.
it went from mid 200 per tank to the most I got was 410 on a tank. After the dealership flashed the rom with an Update Ironically the MPG went down.
but I was still getting around 360 a tank.

my next test car was a camero a friend had. which I knew he neglected and drove the crap out of. yet again nothing but positive results.. Same deal oil and filter and Air filter.

So in the end run, It was Well worth the 20 bucks and the break down on a yearly basis was far less. Enough to justify. with their others services and they have a long standing history, plus any dealership that gives you hell about extended drain.. Amsoil will send them legal notification. Then there's warranty if the engine fails due to a lubrication issue and you can prove you have followed their instructions. they will replace it. I just change it once a year. Sure they have 25k mile oil.. but I think when you get into sending in all the oil samples and labs they want.. you lose your savings margin.

So I know it works, saves me money in the long run, it's a superior product.
Plus since they have a home line of products. Since I had an oil furnace I used there stuff.. and I noticed an improvement there as well. I went a few months longer on a tank of heating oil. Just to give an example.
when I switched the Transmission fluid over, retail was like 130 to 140. I walked out the door paying about 88 bucks.. tranny fluid is also a long life, like 100k ( don't quote me I'm not positive on the mileage of that fluid.
out of pure curiosity, I dropped the pan on the tranny.. and I could still see a grease pen J in the pan and just the ever slight film of particulates. Filter screen was clean as a whistle to.

I like peace of mind. since our stuff runs hot and it stands up to the heat Far better, I just feel it's WELL worth it and less down time changing fluids.

They also have a fuel additive, so many ounces to tank I used it for a while and it kept things happy.. one bottle will last you a while.

Glad my rambling bit of information was helpful.
SVX1999

by the way guys, The wear data on Mobil One is the same as regular castrol.. or so the several race shops around the track in Charlotte, NC told me.. I'd figured they'd know given the engines they work with cost more than many newer cars.

On a side note I heard that Ford and GM both commissioned Amsoil to help them out with a little issue they were having with early engine failure due to lock up, and lube issues.. Amsoil came through, problem solved... So those are my experiences. I guess the strangest was I ran into a man with a Diesel RV.
Said he was a Fan of the product considering he got a 7 MPG increase and was using there dual Bypass system. Considering he had an easy 100K to 150k in that RV.. He was extremely happy about any improvement in MPG.

Sorry for the long post.. If you need any dealer numbers let me know. It helps the guy out that turned me on to it and is probably one of the most Honest mechanics I've met in a long time. I think there are only 4 true synthetic makers left, Amsoil, Motool, Red line, and I always forget the forth. Odd name. I 've heard good things about royal purple but it's very pricey and I'm only seen Blends... I'll stick with what I have been doing. seems to work

SVX 1999
Ryan~

great product for those who tend to FORGET to change oil to. We all have a relative like that.