View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Building it up only to let it go - those who've jumped ship. *LONG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
I was at a car show yesterday ans saw a BEAUTIFUL 1967 Shelby Mustang GT500. It was correct in every detail and as perfecta "restoration" as you would want.

The amazing thing was that this car was not a garage queen or a trailered vehicle. The owner said that it is driven quite regularly. When I asked him if that did not maker him a little nervous, he replied that any part he needed was readily available.

He further shocked me by by telling me that the entire body was a complete replacement body shell and not one panel was the original. Made of steel and not fiberglass.

Windshield, glass, moldings trim, carpeting, upholstery and interior parts are faithfully reproduced and as authentic as original. The engine and transmission were original and rebuilt to factory specs and the frame was restored with OEM and aftermarket components.

The dash fascia was original and had Carroll Shelby's original signature on it. One of the few old parts on the interior

I envy the position that he enjoys. Any part is available. The tooling, molds and dies are all there. Running low on a part?... just make more.

Same with Corvettes.

Maybe Subaru never intended this car to live forever; just a stepping stone in its evolution

You're on crack if Chevy or Ford ever intended their cars to live forever either. They are a business in the business to make money, just as Subaru is.
The difference is what Chevy and Ford stopped making, the clubs stepped in and reproduced. Same reason why I can get virtually every part for a 26 year old car that less than 2000 were made and the factory closed 4 years ago or because you can buy a brand new back to the future mobile in boxes. The owners collectively cared enough to invest in the cars future. That is why I no longer own an SVX. The apathy!