View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 08:32 PM

Registered SVX
Rear wheel bearing or rear diff???

Ok,picked up this car a month ago, 92 LS-L with a 4.44 auto with 88k on the body and 6k on the rebuilt motor, not sure about the tranny . It's been great so far other than the fact that it likes fuel... A LOT of fuel in the city . Anyways a couple of weeks ago I noticed a slight roar coming from the rear, so I said no prob since it sounded like the roar on my Impreza when it's bearings were going out around the same mileage. The sound gets louder as I go faster and is less when I turn one way vs.the other, but a couple of days ago I noticed a couple of drops on garage floor where the rear end of the car would sit.

So I took a peek underneath tonight and noticed the rear diff looks a little wet and the left side of the diff shaft has a lot of gunk on around it. So could it be 1) rear wheel bearing, 2) something in the rear diff due to possibly low fluid and bad seal or 3) both? Not to familiar with what a diff sounds like if it's going bad, I'm gonna try to see if I can drain and service the rear end to be safe or take to some one to service it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit: the sound is coming more from the left wheel than the center of the car,but it sounds like both sometimes.

Last edited by showoval; 08-07-2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: sound location