View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 01:53 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Replacing Rusted Exhaust Flange And Pipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT6Wagon View Post
The aftermarket makes 2-1 cats, and an exhaust shop should have some kind of flanges or slip fit sections it can use to replace that area.

A cheap shop should be able to do it for a couple hundred with parts. Just don't try a big chain exhaust shop as they will rip you off and the quality can be far lower as it will be some monkey who just picked up the welder for the first time last week and only does thier pre-bent slipfit systems 99% of the time. Actual exhaust repair is often beyond the big chain exhaust shops.
I have to vent here.

The weld cracked on my Outback exhaust this winter. I asked big chain muffler to grind off the surface rust and re-weld. I watched this guy zap at my exhaust for almost an hour creating a huge twisted rats nest the size of a grapefruit. There was only surface rust that needed to be taken off and he didn't even do that, I wanted to slap it out of his hand. How do you not know the basics and do that for a living

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel