Old 05-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Wheels that fit the SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSVX View Post
My 1992 and 1997 SVXs call for different tire sizes but unless I am mistaken the donut spares seem to be the same size.
Does this mean I can use the donut spare with new wheels for my 1997 that might be a different size. I am aware I need to have the AWD disengaged if the spare is on but was worried I would have to get another spare the same diameter as whatever new wheels I decide to buy. Can anyone enlighten me?
Dave, what's important as I expect you know is to have the rolling radius the same for all 4 wheels under normal driving conditions. Fitting the donut after a puncture does not qualify as normal driving conditions.

That is why the owner's manual recommends fixing the puncture immediately and refitting the proper wheel. Plus it also dictates you should not travel over a certain speed, maybe 80 kph if memory serves. It is best to consider the donut as a get-you-home device, nothing more.

Don't forget that it is not possible to disengage the AWD on the VTD equipped SVXes such as UK ones and JDM ones. So the design engineers accept a certain amount of mismatch tolerance with the spare wheel donut. They just don't expect people to keep driving on them at speed for too many kilometres.

So the answer to your question I think is that the donut is OK and only OK as a substitute and will work for short periods, low speeds, with both sizes of wheel. Speaking personally though, if I take my car to the UK or to the continent on a long run I fire out the donut and bring a full sized wheel just in case of a puncture that I can't attend to without doing big miles.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl