View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 11:52 AM

Re: No start issue & cracked timing housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
If it won't even turn over, you have a power or starter issue, which will need to be addressed before going any further, try a know good battery in it before going any further.

#2 The timing covers don't seal up oil leaks, they are just dust shields, and the car can be run without them...so you have a seal leaking behind the cover, probably either the crank seal, or the cam seals.
Thanks for the response- Here's what I've got so far....
I agree with you on the starting issue- I can't proceed without it at least turning over. We put in a new battery already and no change while trying to start. (still nothing beyond lights and dash lights turning on when attemping to start.) After work today we're going to look at power/ground wire issues & then starter. Maybe bad starter solenoid? Also, could that 'security' button w/ the red light under the instament cluster have anything to do with this? To me that button seems like a type of starting interrupt switch.

#2 response: There's no oil in that area? After sitting for 3-4 weeks, we have about a quart of oil under the car and it looked like it origionated from that cracked regoin. (lower passengerside). The oil filter area was dry of any oil and it didn't seem like the dain plug seal went bad. I do plan on pulling the drainplug to check the integrity of its seal though. Up until this point of sitting for this long, it would do a little bit of spotting, but nothing substantial. Are the crank / cam seals prone to leaking? Referring to when exactly where that crack is... looking at part #9 on that pic above, its the innermost of the bottom bolts; and the crack is in part #5.

Last edited by Heat Seeker WS6; 03-07-2011 at 11:57 AM.