View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 06:58 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: ECU tune Transmission control unit?

LOL, good video. Not to take the video seriously....but I was just explaining it in an email so I figured I'd copy and paste the explanation over here. It's important. At this point the newest possible automatic transmisison that can be swapped into an SVX is 13 years old so it's bordering on rediculous to do these swaps already and only getting more so with each day. People should understand that SVX transmission failures can easily be prevented with a simple plug in that anyone can do, even without any mechanical ability.

On the SVX, the performance TCU firmware now includes modified line pressure control maps for 3rd and 4th gear. There are individual line pressure control maps for each gear but in the stock programming Subaru used the same map for all 4 gears. It works fine for 1st and 2nd which use much, much larger clutch packs than 3rd and 4th but the line pressure is marginal to not good enough to hold the little high clutch under light cruise. This results in the transmission equivalent of driving with your brakes on, continuously wearing the high clutch and brake band and making huge amounts of heat. The stock programming results in about 65 lbs of line pressure at light cruise; I change it to close to the max pressure resulting in about 150 lbs of line pressure. This change is the fix for the transmission failures that plague all SVXs; for this reason, a performance TCU is a necessity for any SVX.