View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Extreme power loss, random stuttering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S. View Post
So I have verified the fuel is not being delivered, something I should have done a week ago. No fuses are blown that I can see, looked at what I could given the conditions of it being outside away from home. Discovered a light in the trunk. Sadly, plugging that in did not solve the problem.

There is 3 clicks under the dash (2 on, 1 off?) when the key is turned on, as always. I'm hoping those are the fuel relays? Even after looking at diagrams I have no idea where they are. Hi-res please?

I spotted the modulator and resistor but do not have the means or the knowledge to test anything. I have little electrical training. It's kind of frustrating to read so many troubleshooting posts that seem to just take that knowledge for granted. Maybe if I get this sorted I will still be able to afford school.
What you should do now is just get to the fuel pump, and test for voltage there. Im not sure which is positive or negative on the harness, but basically you just need to see whether or not any of the wires are getting 12 volts when the key is turned on. Its pretty basic in a 12V system, just clip one of the test leads to ground, and use the other one on each wire... seeing if theres is power going to one momentarily with the key turned on.

This may be solved with just throwing in the new fuel pump, but you need to make sure that the appropriate wire is getting 12V when the key is first turned to prime the pump. This can be done with a $5 walmart multimeter or even a simple test-light.

Basically...

Voltage to pump = Bad pump, throw in yours.

No Voltage = Could be something else electrical. We will tackle that if needed.

So for simplicity, you just need to check if any (or the right one if know which) wire to the fuel pump gets momentary voltage with the key turned on.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.