View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: SVX strut replacement (non - KONI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Won't work, without massive work. I'm running WRX coilovers on my car and it took me about 13 hours to install them. The SVX suspension is unique in it's top mount bolt pattern and the thickness of the lower mount, although the overall strut lengths are similar-ish.

WRX front struts will work on the rear easy enough provided you are willing to grind down the rear hub enough for the strut mout bracket to fit. You would need an SVX top hat and would need to come up with the proper spacer for the threaded portion of the dampener. Of course I wouldn't know how the loss of the 1/4 inch of steel will do long term with the weight of the SVX. I would suspect the STi front strut might be a better fit as I think it has the same rear hub mount dimension as the SVX but have never seen one so I can't say for sure. Took us about 2-3 hours to swap to the Imp fronts on the rear on the racer but we didn't have a rear shelf to remove. It worked good enough I guess but no idea how it would work with a standard spring set up.

Fronts are a little more dicey as you have the sway bar mount to deal with and welding a bracket on there with oil in the strut isn't the easiest thing to do without an incident.