View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 01:51 PM

Re: SMALL single turbo project, thoughts welcome!

I doubt it'll spike to 30 in real-world situations, but mid to high 20s is a strong possibility. And keep in mind, we're talking that much boost at lower RPM ranges, I predict it will bleed off to 8-10psi by redline, and we're talking about a peak HP of 360-380 crank. It's NOT very much power, relatively speaking, and I see no reason the engine shouldn't be capable of much more than that reliably if it's tuned properly.

I have no idea what kind of AFRs the other forced-induction guys have run, but from the general attitude I've seen around here about tuning, it sounds like many people have run what, to me, is scary lean...and that seems to have everyone on the boards scared to death of boost.

Most turbo cars from the factory run as rich as 10:1 during boost on gasoline, and you don't see much leaner than about 12.2:1 in boost. Sometimes a bit leaner just off-boost to promote hotter EGTs and thereby better spool, more like 13:1. 10:1 is obviously way too rich to make the best power, but on gasoline that's often what's required to avoid detonation.

E85 is another animal. You won't hit detonation from running lean, but it doesn't make good power there either, and the EGTs get up there pretty good when you get lean. You can actually get into more trouble running rich because you're more likely to run into pre-ignition. I'm going to keep it right in the middle to start and run 12.1:1. I should have enough flow out of my injectors to hit the 365HP at about 60psi of base fuel pressure, which gives me plenty of wiggle-room with the second fuel pump.

I'm not saying I expect the engine to last another 100,000 miles, but I don't see any reason it shouldn't last another 50,000. I'm much more concerned about the rest of the drivetrain...particularly the already fussy automatic transmission that I'll have in there until I get around to the 5-speed swap.