View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: A specific question about the old "dipstick popping out" issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
Replacing the PCV valve on both of my cars (I should say, having the PCV valves replaced by a nimble mechanic with small hands) instantly and completely cured dipstick pop-up. Old Subarus suck lots of oil and crank gases though the intake. That's not a problem unless you're losing quarts between changes or leaving a cloud of blue smoke in your wake. I'd change the PCV.

My silver SVX has always had an odd bouncy idle when warm, ONLY when rolling to a stop. This is most noticeable in stop-and-go traffic. Sitting still at idle, it's so smooth and quiet I glance at the gauges to be sure it's running. So long as she doesn't stall, I can live with it.

dcb
My idle is only bouncy when cold and only for a few seconds immediately after starting the car.

I don't see blue smoke so I guess that is good. Would you expect a bad PCV to pop the dipstick even if the dipstick has a new o-ring?

If I am getting oil pushed into the wrong places due to a PCV, wouldn't I see some in the end of the black air "snorkle" which is clamped to the intake manifold?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything