View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Occasional Engine Stall Shifting to Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbr View Post
Thanks for the help Harvey.

I was checking into this more while driving today. As I recall, the engine has only stalled when the car was cold. This could also be why I never have seen it stall going from P to D because I rarely park such that I can go forward with the car cold.

During today's driving around I noticed that the time to shift gears if fine when it's warm, but much slower cold.

Is this something that I should worry about fixing? Right now it's more of a nuisance (and occasional embarrassment) than a big problem.
There are some things the can go wrong in the box that would cause a slow reverse engagement. Thats why I suggested that you check the lag time.
You need a stopwatch, engine/trans, warm and idling. Start the time as you pull it into gear, stop when you feel the engagement. If both are slow, it can just be low line pressure. If the P to N is ok, but the P to R is slower, it can be a problem starting.
If the lag time is OK, then it is likely just the Idle control valve a bit stuck and responding too slow to hold the Idle.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.