View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Re-learn procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
My impression is that this sequence will immediately reset the closed loop parameters and provide a decent starting point for them instead of waiting the 30-40 drive cycles it normally takes for the closed loop parameters to re-adjust either from current erroneous values (if you just replaced an O2 sensor, for example) or from default values (if you disconnected the battery).

What resets the parameters is leaving the battery disconnected.... and they already have decent starting points.... default from factory.

The procedure outlined is so the ECU can relearn more efficient fuel and timing maps during

a) Idle, no load
b) Idle, TC load in gear
c) Normal acceleration
b) Normal sustained cruise

So my point is, this is experienced in normal everyday driving. LOOK at the instructions closely... "Process may be repeated as necessary".

So if you want, you can be the guy doing laps around his neighborhood trying to efficientize his car, OR you can just drive through town on errands when you need to, and it will be almost exactly the same and easier for you. You may lose $3 in fuel mileage, tops... I promise.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.