View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 07:58 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: Transmission Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I'll bet the Subaru engineers thought it was at least 3580 GVW. But, if it really is only a single pass of 12" then it couldn't possibly be much more than that.

I'm still of the impression that any object placed in front of the radiator will cause SOME air flow restriction which will cause some loss of engine cooling. For that reason alone, I would think that one would want to go with the smallest area cooler. The other part of the argument is that a smaller cooler will have even less ATF flow resistance to help keep the fluid flowing through the tranny. At some point, however, that becomes less of a factor as the resistance through the ATF lines becomes the dominant resistance.

Now I am ready to flip a coin on my 10,000 GVW cooler I have in hand. Should be enough to keep the ATF of a 3580lb car cool. Cooler is better, however. Smaller is also better also though, from a air and fluid flow resistance standpoint. Maybe my 10,000 GVW cooler is a nice tradeoff.
Just get the PWR radiator and if you want (as I did) get a small cooler. The two should keep the ATF plenty cool.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles