Thread: dip stick
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: dip stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
I never really looked at it too close, its that easy eh? Maybe this will be like my spark plugs and be a total slam dunk after procrastinating about it for 6 weeks.

Does this H6 do anything specific to alert you when the PCV is clogged? Oil in the intake snork? My ex girlfriends 84 GL used to DUMP oil into the air cleaner housing so much that it soaked a good portion of the filter itself.
Yes Chris, that is what it does.Pushing the dipstick up is the first sign of the crankcase building up a positive pressure.

The PCV valve will only vent the crankcase at Idle and at part throttle. There needs to be some vacuum present in the inlet manifold, to open the valve. At idle the vacuum is strong to pull the valve to a restricted flow position, at part throttle it is opened wider to suck the fumes into the inlet, but at full throttle position there is no manifold vacuum, so the valve is virtually closed.

The crankcase pressure is then vented through the cam cover breathers into each side of the air duct. The two hoses are joined together by a pipe that runs through the box to emerge out the right hand end, to connect to the air delivery pipe, to be pulled into the engine through the throttle bodies.

As the engine wears and there is more crankcase blow-by, the amount of gas flow is higher and has more oil mist. This will block the small passages that are in the air box pipes to restrict the pressure flow, and allow the case to build up enough pressure to push the dipstick up, and push oil out gaskets and oil seals.

So the dipstick 'pop-up', not only says that the PCV valve needs cleaning, it also says the the cam. breather passages are also restricted.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.