View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 07:47 AM

Registered SVX
Re: New BontragerWorks Rear Swaybar For My SVX

Well I say very easy, and I am not mechanically inclined.
On a scale of 1-10 where 1 = installing a new battery, then I give this a 3?.

Installing a set of used hood struts was 6 bolts, this was 8 bolts.
Same hand tools, just a set of metric combination wrenches and sockets.
There was nothing crazy to it, nothing else needs to be removed to get to it. Nothing is in the way of it.
So I say its just slightly harder than doing hood struts, due to the rust and the angle of attack.
Being slid under the car might not be the most comfortable spot, but certainly was more comfortable than being upside down under the drivers dash installing a chipped ECU.

The only trouble we ran into was that we shattered my crappy "husky" brand socket on the second factory endlink bolt we tried to remove.
I put on an older better socket I found in the old tool box, went to take off the bolt, and the husky ratchet broke.
Lesson learned, cheap tools are cheap for a reason...
So we decided to forget about the sockets and proceeded the rest of the way using just my ratcheting combination wrench set I had just bought a few days ago to do an ECU&TCU swap. They broke free the bolts, which we found much more helpful than the bolts breaking the tools.

By far the hardest part of installing Nevin's bar was the uninstall of the original bar!

Once the old bar was out of the way, we had it bolted on loosely fit in less than 20mins. Spent another 15mins making it all even, which wasn't much, I think it was 3 or 4 threads on the endlinks to even everything up.
Doing the writeup (well, picture book) took me more time than installing the sway bar.

I would say the only hard place to get to was the the bolt going through the hub on the wheel side. My 18" wheels gave me the clearance to get my wrench in their, but barely. My 14mm is 6.5in long and it was a tight fit to get in there. With the stock wheels my you may need a shorter wrenches, I know we were wishing we had one, purely for comfort sake

Tools used to Install:
Two - 14mm combination wrenches (I don't own two 14mm's, so I found an old 9/16 in the old toolbox.)
One - 15mm box wrench.

All the bolts I received from Nevin were 14mm.
Endlink wants a 15mm box wrench.

To uninstall the original bar you will need a 12mm. That is what the broken socket is. I think that was the only other size I used.

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 07-05-2010 at 09:16 AM.