View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
Re: Favorite double-din stereo?

The Pioneer AVIC P4000 is a compromise between Nevin's and Processengr's setups. I like that it has a rotary volume knob, which also mutes the stereo with a touch (that's important to me). It does not have the SDCard reader though (or GPS for that matter) so the left side control panel is smaller and the volume knob is too leaving room for a bigger 6.1" widescreen display. I do wish mine had the OS that theirs has though, as mine won't do custom backgrounds or isn't "hackable". It does have every input I'd ever want and more, so now my stereo has room to grow.

I couldn't get the thin trim piece surrounding the OEM stereo to fit back on without hitting the door, so I've got exposed screws on the sides. They're recessed enough that I bet I'm the only one who notices, but it bugs me. Other than that, I love my AVIC particularly for the Bluetooth to play songs from my iPhone, then switch to a phone call when I receive one. Living in a place where hands-free devices are manditory, I can't imagine driving without this.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.

Last edited by K_Dub; 06-24-2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Added to the review