View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 01:31 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Re: Bringing the SVXtasy back to life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
I did not say it was the first one to be turbocharged, but the first one to be turbocharged that used a manual transmission. Kind of silly to be bragging about being the 'first' of anything when it has only ever ran mediocre at best, but that's about to change.
I know of one in Florida that used a single T66 to run a 12.9 before grenading the 4EAT (is this Chuck that oab_au mentioned?) and I saw pictures of another one purported to be from Puerto Rico, also on a 4EAT. This was ~2002 or so, so we're pretty sure there may have been others by then, but who knows.

Anyway here's the latest on it:

In early May I talked to Mike @ ECUtune, and I sent him my old 2V5 to be upgraded to the new 2v7extreme. Somehow it got shipped to the wrong address, and a frustrating of couple weeks go by and after talking to Mike and UPS several times each, a miracle happens and it gets back to Mike. But before it even got back to Mike, he sent out the new 2v7extreme. Seriously - talk about customer service! Thanks again Mike!

So after making a boost leak tester to help a friend diagnose boost leak issues with his single turbo MK4 Supra, I took the same boost leak tester to the SVX and I discover that the car has such a massive mess of boost leaks that it's amazing it ever idled, being a mass-air car.

I methodically went through the intake piping starting at the turbo, and the 90* elbow off the turbo going to the first IC pipe was leaking so much that it felt like a box fan or something. The compressor cover itself was leaking too. So off came the turbo and the compressor cover got re-sealed, and I tried like hell to make the 90* coupler work right - turns out the T-bolt clamp was not tight at all, and it was simply too big for that couple and had bottomed out on its adjustment range so it felt tight, but wasn't tight enough to clamp to the IC pipe.
A quick trip to a local speed shop yielded the correct size T-bolt clamp, and all was well. That next day, my same Supra buddy came by and we kept diagnosing boost leaks.
First, the cold side IC pipe coming out of the fender was leaking too. Then the couplers on the intake splitter going to the dual throttle bodies. Then something UNDER the whole intake manifold itself. Probably the balance valve.. What a pain.. so off came the intake manifold:

EWWWWWWWWWWWWW

So I got to cleaning up the top of the engine, I pulled the balance valve out of the intake manifold and eliminated the shaft and leaky shaft seal by drilling it out and using a 12x1.25mm tap, and then I threaded in an appropriate bolt w/teflon paste, eliminating the balance valve altogether. Since the car is turbocharged there's little if anything to be gained by the 'closed' position at light throttle now anyhow.

You can see the bolt I added right in the middle of that upper piece. Yeah, I didn't take nearly enough pics, don't even have before/after or anything.

So I buttoned it all back up and started testing for boost leaks, and it's all buttoned up, though I'm not terribly confident in the auxillary injector mounts. I'll going to need to figure out a better solution to mount those injectors, or remove them altogether.

Looking much better, though still needs full engine detailing:

I test drove it today with just the ECUtune 2v7E, bypassing the emanage & everything else, and it's running much much much better. I did some part-throttle boost by accident (spools like a $*#&*@) but felt okay. I will definitely be taking the open WG dump and recirculating it into the DP - it's entirely too too loud.
It will definitely need further tuning to run well, but things are looking very good. I'll probably take some video of it running/driving soon!

Jeff
Great to hear Jeff! I will have to go in and check out the balance valve as i would assume mine is leaky as well.

Phil