View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 04:41 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Burned up idler pulleys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhood422 View Post
The guy I have working on it says all signs are pointing to a blown motor. Apparently it got so hot "the water pump turned blue" and "grease hardened." He keeps telling me not to waste my money and to swap out the motor. So apparently my water pump failed too. What could be the cause of this much overheating? It can't be good... and could this overheating cause secondary damages?
It is hard to understand where the guy is coming from. Engine heat from a faulty emgine, could only be transferred to the water pump via the block or circulating water. The pump could not be heated in this way to a point whereby it would have turned blue. If some part of the pump did indeed turn blue, the likely cause would be a seized bearing, which also adds up with the reported hardened grease.

A seized water pump would most certainly damage the belt, but how come the quite separate idler pulleys, are also “burned up”? Nothing the guy you have working on the car is telling you makes sense. Or is it that in fact you had an engine fire"?

Get another reliable opinion before you are talked into wasting a lot of money.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!